French Onion SoupAdd to Cookbook user submitted recipe
- 1/2 (cup) 1/2 cup butter
- 4 4 large yellow onions
- 1 (cup) 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 (cup) 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 (cup) 4 cups beef broth
- 2 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 worcestershire sauce
- 1 french bread or baguette
- 5 (ounce) 5 ounces oz gruyere cheese
- Halve onions from root to tip and slice thin. Melt butter in heavy soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat and add onions. Cook 20 minutes covered.
- Place soup pot in oven with lid slightly ajar to ensure onions will brown. Allow to cook in oven for 1 hour stirring at least once so they don't burn
- Remove pot and place back on stovetop over medium heat. Stir, scraping off brown flavorful bits. Turn off heat and pour in wine. Turn heat back to medium. Cook wine for five minutes, allowing it to reduce.
- Add broths, worcestershire sauce to taste, and minced garlic and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Butter one side of the bread slices and broil over low heat, allowing bread to brown and become crispy.
- When soup is ready, ladle into bowl or ramekin. Place crispy bread on top, and then sprinkle generously with grated cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.
This nutrition information is an estimate only. We use software to calculate the nutritional analysis from the individual ingredients in each recipe. While we do our best to ensure accuracy, we make no representation or warranty regarding the information, and there can be no assurance that any of the information contained therein has not been, or will not be changed or altered.
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Dietary Fiber
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C