The Better Way To Plan Meals And Save Money
2 (medium) oranges, one zested and juiced and one cut into wedges for garnish
4 (8.0 ounce) bone-in pork loin chops, 3/4 inch thick
1 (large) onion, sliced
1 (8.0 ounce package) red beans and rice mix
1 (cup) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Pinch salt and black pepper, to taste
- From 1 orange, grate 3/4 teaspoon peel and squeeze juice (you should have between 1/3 and 1 cup juice); cut remaining orange into wedges for garnish.
- Heat nonstick 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Add pork chops and cook 6 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides, turning once. Transfer chops to plate; keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium. To same skillet, add onion, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook onion 10 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Add orange peel and cook 30 seconds. Add bean-and-rice mix and prepare according to package directions, using orange juice plus enough water to equal amount of liquid called for in directions. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Tuck pork chops into rice mixture in skillet and cook, covered, 10 minutes longer or until rice is tender and chops just lose their pink color inside.
- To serve, garnish with orange wedges and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.