The Better Way To Plan Meals And Save Money
3 (tablespoon) vegetable oil
4 (6.0 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
1/2 (cup) sliced onions
1/2 (cup) sliced red bell pepper
2 (tablespoon) taco seasoning mix
8 (1/2 inch thick) slices French bread
2 (cup) shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 (cup) salsa (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook and stir until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sliced onions and red peppers, and cook and stir for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the taco seasoning, add a 1/2 cup of water and mix well. Cook mixture until the juice has thickened and the chicken is well coated with sauce, about an additional 7 minutes.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Evenly spoon the chicken mixture on top of the salsa topped bread (if using salsa). Sprinkle each sandwich with 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Place sandwiches under the preheated broiler and cook for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Optional: Garnish with salsa.