What do you like to make with pumpkins?

by Sandy (Community Guide) 48829 over 3 years ago

Comments

• Barb
    Barb 91496

I'm afraid I'm just straightforward pumpkin pie!

over 3 years ago
  • Sandy (Community Guide)
    Sandy (Community Guide) 48829

Oh Barb you gotta try other things! Pumpkin pancakes, muffins, pizza, cake, chiffon pumpkin pie, everyhting. Its fun! lol

over 3 years ago
  • Kent
    Kent 116787

I've made bread, pancakes, muffins, bars, pie, soup and even ravioli.

over 3 years ago
  • Cynthia
    Cynthia 165741

I love to make a pumpkin custurd, like crustless pie!

over 3 years ago
  • Chef Heather (Food on the Table)
    Chef Heather (Food on the Table) 25081

Oh I can't wait to start cooking/baking with pumpkin! In addition to the things previously mentioned (pies, breads/muffins, pancakes and bars) I love to bake pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin 'cinnamon' rolls, and cookies. I also like string a few tablespoons of pumpkin puree into my morning oatmeal along with some cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little brown sugar. A creamy pumpkin soup is perfect on a fall day and pumpkin added to a risotto or even chili is also nice and comforting!

over 3 years ago

And here are a few recipes from the Food on the Table site that use pumpkin: Pumpkin Stew: http://www.foodonthetable.com/recipes/18946-pumpkin-stew Vegetarian Winter Squash Risotto: http://www.foodonthetable.com/recipes/208938-vegetarian-winter-squash-risotto Ibby's Pumpkin Mushroom Stuffing: http://www.foodonthetable.com/recipes/35846-ibby-s-pumpkin-mushroom-stuffing

over 3 years ago
  • Kate
    Kate 93663

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread (just made that on Monday) and Spiced Pumpkin Mousse (like pumpkin pie without crust, made with silken tofu, believe it or not!)

over 3 years ago
  • Donna (Food on the Table)
    Donna (Food on the Table) 86758

My favorite: pumpkin ravioli with a nice brown sage butter! (I do love muffins and pie, though, too...) Also a pumpkin creme brulee...

over 3 years ago

Not only are pumpkins great to bake/cook with because of the added flavor they have tons of nutritional benefits too! Pumpkins are loaded with vitamins and anti-oxidants that are crucial to a healthy diet. They are low in fat and calories and are an excellent source of fiber, beta-carotene, potassium, and vitamins A, C, and E. A diet full of vitamin rich pumpkins has been shown to help reduce heart attacks and strokes, support a healthy digestive system, maintain a healthy weight, and curb hunger. Pumpkin seeds and oil provide an excellent source of zinc and the heart healthy mono-unsaturated fatty acids.

over 3 years ago

For cooking, smaller ‘sugar’ or 'pie' pumpkins are best. They have a sweet, mild flavor and more tender flesh. When selecting pumpkins, look for ones that are free from cracks, soft spots, and blemishes, that feel solid and heavy for their size, and still have the stems intact. Pumpkins should be stored in a cool, dry place for up to a month or can be refrigerated for up to three months, with pumpkin puree being frozen for up to 16 months.

over 3 years ago
  • Kathleen
    Kathleen 45127

Wow, thanks for all the info, Chef Heather! I;d always heard that you couldn't really cook with real pumpkins. I might actually try, now!

over 3 years ago