Organize freezer help

OMG (as my daughter says)!!!!! my freezer is overflowing mess of chaos. It is saving us money to cook extra and freeze and buy extra meats on sale then freeze. My husband brought home venison from a hunt and we couldn't fit. He's agreed on getting an extra deep freeze to hold our goods.
Wondering how you all do it? Need to get it organized.

by Anonymous 46872 over 3 years ago

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 46872

I should add that I think I'm saving so much money but when we forget it is there and it dies of freezer burn it is useless!!!

over 3 years ago
  • Jessica Bowman
    Jessica Bowman 49148

All meats on one shelf, desserts on another and leftovers on last shelf. Not perfect but works ok.

over 3 years ago
  • Noeme
    Noeme 49322

Freezing tons of things does not save money. That is a myth. You end up pulling out tastless blocks of ice for half the week. The meat is soggy and so are most of the leftovers.

over 3 years ago
  • Sandy (Community Guide)
    Sandy (Community Guide) 48829

I used to freeze all the time and it saved me a ton of money. Anonymous Jessica is right on! Organization helps a lot. Also if you need help make a list of everything thats in your freezer so you dont forget (that'll help you with meal planning to). Also go to your local favorite super greatland store and hit the isle with the little shelves (should be somewhere with the silverware organizers and containers) and find things that will further help you to keep everything organized lol Dont forget to make sure your food is dated so you know it needs to be used first or last. Have fun and happy freezing!

over 3 years ago
  • Chef Heather (Food on the Table)
    Chef Heather (Food on the Table) 25081

@ Anonymous~ Hi this is Chef Heather from Food on the Table. Freezing food is perfectly safe and can be great way to save money and not let food go to waste. Be sure and store food properly in freezer safe packaging and label accordingly with the date and type of food. I second Jessica and Sandy’s suggestions about adding a shelf to your freezer and storing like items together. Just like Sandy, I keep a list on my fridge of all the things in my freezer as well as a chart with how long food can be kept in the freezer. This helps me a lot so I can know what foods to use first when I do my weekly meal plans. Also, when I add new food to the freezer I make sure and place it in the back and move older items to the front, to get used first. For best results any food you are freezing should be placed in the freezer as soon as possible.

over 3 years ago
  • Chef Heather (Food on the Table)
    Chef Heather (Food on the Table) 25081

FYI here is the link to the freezing reference chart that keep handy and find helpful: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/focus_on_freezing/index.asp

over 3 years ago
  • Bridget
    Bridget 172235

I am a huge fan of vacuum sealing. I use it for my meats,home made soups (sealed in bag then lay flat till frozen. doesnt take much room),leftovers. You can boil in bag for something quick in a pinch. Labeling is easy. Food lasts longer. Ground meats I freeze flat to not take too much room. I like to freeze in individual serving sizes. It is a great tool for me. I also like this article to help focus what I want to do
    http://food.yourway.net/stock-and-organize-your-freezer-for-last-minute-meals/

over 3 years ago
  • Donna (Food on the Table)
    Donna (Food on the Table) 86758

I'm with Bridget, Heather and Sandy, too. once you get a routine going, it's easy to maintain. Now I just have a dry erase board mounted on the inside of my pantry door so I can easily update my list of what's in the freezer. (Also a great way to keep a running shopping list if I use the last of something...) This is something we do in the commercial kitchen I work in, and it's a simple way of keeping track of everything and minimizing waste.

over 3 years ago