Sending hot lunches to school?

What do you do? I know some parents send them warm and hope for the best (even if the school doesn't have a microwave), but I've been a little surprised lately to note that some kids have foods that would normally be hot--corn, peas, for instance--and they're coming to school with them frozen in their lunchboxes, instead.

by Donna (Food on the Table) 86758 over 3 years ago

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 139270

Frozen peas and corn are yummy! Blueberries too. Those are a little messy though. Soup stays warm in a thermos I like to take toast or leftover bread sticks with mine. We don't have a microwave at work. No fun, but it makes you creative.

over 3 years ago
  • Shabnam
    Shabnam 150349

My kids actually like leftovers cold, so I pack it for their lunch with an ice pack and they eat it up. They are 2 and 4 so we'll see how long that lasts! :)

over 3 years ago
  • Carmajo
    Carmajo 42410

soup in thermos works but most items I send are cold. I even freeze yogurt that thaws by lunch,

over 3 years ago
  • Connie
    Connie 208243

my daughter has celiac and can't eat the school lunches. it really annoys me that they won't allow her to use a microwave so she can have a hot lunch. you can only send so much in a thermos. try sending chicken, corn, and rice all in one thermos. she wasn't too fond of it.

over 3 years ago
  • Mar
    Mar 150630

My kids take leftovers to school in a thermos every day, and although it won´t be peeping hot, it is warm enough, so no need to microwave. I always have a batch of either potatoes, pasta or rice ready to mix with whatever is available and it works great. They actually learn to love real food, otherwise their taste buds might get used to eat only cold foods and that would affect their good eating habits. Also, taking a thermos is greener than pre-packaged foods or plastic wraps.

over 3 years ago
  • Shabnam
    Shabnam 150349

My kids eat the real food cold. At dinner they'll eat it hot, but at lunch time they actually prefer it cold. My older son has a microwave in his classroom and will choose not to use it. It hasn't appeared to affect taste buds yet...of course, they are still young and although they'll eat just about anything I pack for them now, that may not be the case when they get older...

over 3 years ago
  • Donna (Food on the Table)
    Donna (Food on the Table) 86758

Connie, I know what you mean! My son has severe food allergies, too, and while I even offered a spare microwave to his school, they're still dragging their feet on it after almost a month. And yet they wonder why he's tired when he gets to school at 7:15... The poor kid won't eat bread, so sandwiches aren't an option. A nice, warm pasta dish or curry would be great, and would keep him going, but he can't get one... and I won't chance meats that are held at the wrong temps.

over 3 years ago
  • Chef Heather (Food on the Table)
    Chef Heather (Food on the Table) 25081

Packing soup, stew, chili, or last night’s dinner leftovers in a thermos with a side of cornbread, crackers, or vegetable is a great way to serve your child a ‘hot lunch’ from home. However, keeping food at a safe temperature is important. Make sure and ‘pre-heat’ your child’s thermos by filling the thermos with hot water. Allow the hot water to sit in the thermos for several minutes (with the lid on), then pour out the water. Fill the warmed thermos with hot food, making sure to put the lid on tightly and quickly. Keep in mind that it is advised to keep hot food in a properly heated thermos for no more than four hours (so if your child eats a late lunch then it is best to think of other lunch options). Also make sure and thoroughly wash your child’s thermos as soon as possible when done using to prevent the growth of bacteria.

over 3 years ago
  • Donna (Food on the Table)
    Donna (Food on the Table) 86758

Thanks, Chef Heather. I always wondered if a warmed Thermos would actually create a safe holding temperature. I'm sure he'll be much happier being able to have chili, meat loaf or nice warm pasta for lunch. :-)

over 3 years ago

Connect with Facebook to Share

Facebook

Share with Friends!

Connecting your Facebook account with your Food on the Table account will allow you, your friends, and your family to share your favorite recipes, weekly meal plans, and more. Click the "Login with Facebook" button below to get started!