Can I substitute sour cream for butter?

In a baking recipe? I want to make banana bread but don't have butter in the house. I want to keep it low fat and was wondering if I could substitute yogurt in its place.

by Lesley 91500 about 3 years ago

Comments

• Barb
    Barb 91496

I'd be a little worried about the yogurt making it a too runny, unless you strained it first. I'm just surprised that your recipe calls for butter. Most of the ones I've seen use oil, and I know you can substitute applesauce for that.

about 3 years ago
  • Sandy (Community Guide)
    Sandy (Community Guide) 48829

How much butter does it call for? You can use shortening and 2 eggs depending on your recipe. I use a different kind of shortening so i can get healthy fats. Ive never used yogurt in any baking recipes.

about 3 years ago
  • Donna (Food on the Table)
    Donna (Food on the Table) 86758

What kind of shortening do you use, Sandy? (That's something I only buy once a year for a particular recipe...)

about 3 years ago
  • Sandy (Community Guide)
    Sandy (Community Guide) 48829

Spectrum (brand) Organic All Vegetable Shortening. Ingredients are Mechanically processed organic palm oil. Its the best shortening ever! I use it only a few times a year. I researched palm oil just to make sure and the Store Owner where I used to grocery shop only sells the best (not expensive, she loves good healthy eating).

about 3 years ago
  • Melanie
    Melanie 80289

I bake blueberry mufin with yogurt it came out perfect.look for banana bread recipe using yogurt (it was the greek yogurt)

about 3 years ago
  • Lesley
    Lesley 91500

Thanks, everyone! I actually did the original recipe with yogurt, but since it was regular, not the Greek, I let it strain through my coffee filter for a few hours first. It actually seemed fine! (I've never tried straining the yogurt before--was surprised at how much fluid came out.)

about 3 years ago
  • Chef Heather (Food on the Table)
    Chef Heather (Food on the Table) 25081

@Lesley- Yes I use yogurt and sour cream ALL THE TIME when I bake! I love how it makes my cakes, breads, muffins, etc so moist and flavorful, as well as cut down on fat and calories. I will often use flavored yogurts to complement the favors in the things that I am baking (vanilla yogurt with vanilla cake, blueberry yogurt in blueberry muffins or strawberry yogurt in strawberry bread).

about 3 years ago

Oh and I agree with Barb's suggestion of using applesauce. I have a cake, apple muffin, and even an oatmeal cookie recipe that uses applesauce to add flavor and cut down on the amount of eggs and oil needed.

about 3 years ago
  • Phyllis
    Phyllis 52482

So how much yogurt did you use? The same as you would have for the butter? Like a cup for a cup?

about 3 years ago
  • Melanie
    Melanie 80289

It was a recipe I found that used yogurt,I belive it was the same amount.

about 3 years ago
  • Phyllis
    Phyllis 52482

Thanks!

about 3 years ago
  • Donna (Food on the Table)
    Donna (Food on the Table) 86758

I fool around with subbing sour cream and yogurt a lot when I bake, too (mostly because I never go shopping specifically to bake-it's always a last-minute accident!). This weekend I made some cranberry scones that were so good, but I had to substitute a mixture of sour cream and milk for the heavy cream the recipe called for. They turned out great!

about 3 years ago

Here is a favorite banana bread recipe of mine. It is a healthier banana bread recipe using whole wheat flour, ground oatmeal, and yogurt. http://www.foodonthetable.com/recipes/348986-peanut-butter-banana-bread

about 3 years ago

Connect with Facebook to Share

Facebook

Share with Friends!

Connecting your Facebook account with your Food on the Table account will allow you, your friends, and your family to share your favorite recipes, weekly meal plans, and more. Click the "Login with Facebook" button below to get started!