Need help to get my husband to eat healthy.

by Stephanie 3458 over 3 years ago

Comments

• Stephanie
    Stephanie 3458

Sorry, I am new. Couldn't figure out how to post.. Basically my husband grew up on fast food thanks to MIL... Now I cannot get him to eat anything that is not pasta, meat, and potatos. He will not any type of bean, veggie, or fruit. I have pureed veggies and put them in his pasta without telling him, but am trying to figure out what else I could possibly do.. He has extremely high blood pressure, but refuses to change his eating.. TIA.

over 3 years ago
  • kristy
    kristy 38375

I feel bad for you!
    I suggest at least two recipes. One is white chili, with cumin, green peppers chicken and white beans, with some chicken broth. Look up white chili. He'll love it.
    Then, learn to make a healthier tomato sauce. Every man I've ever made this for absolutely loved it and it is very basic and healthy. It is simply a tomato sauce made from tomatoes,garlic,onion and basil.
    Put a half cup of Virgin Olive oil,(most healthy of all oils, and first pressing of olive so very healthy)add a medium chopped onion, then add chopped fresh or jarred garlic, I like to use the jared and add 3 TBSp or less but only let it cook in oil about 30 seconds on med heat or you'll burn it and it will be bitter. Then you can add fresh chopped basil,(about 10 leaves rolled up together and sliced vertically then across), or you can buy pesto which is basil, parm cheese, and pine nuts in olive oil instead for quickness, about 5 tbsps. If you use pesto in olive oil, cut down on olive oil you use to begin with, and maybe cut out a Tbsp of garlic since pesto has garlic too. Then add about 5 cans chopped italian style or regular tomatoes. Cook down til some of the liquid cooks out, and serve on either angel hair spaghetti, or for more fiber, whole wheat angel hair or past.

over 3 years ago
  • kristy
    kristy 38375

P.S. Look up a recipe for jalapeno cheese cornbread to go with white chili, and serve white chili with Salsa and monterey jack on top of it. To start with, for now just use canned beans instead of trying to make your own. They have a nice soft buttery texture and will make the recipe easier to make. I always use a can of green chopped chili's and a bell chopped as well.

over 3 years ago
  • kristy
    kristy 38375

I knew I'd mess up giving you that recipe. Let me correct myself. You need to saute onions til soft, translucent, then add garlic for 30-40 seconds, then add basil, or pesto, and tomatoes all together. DO NOT saute the garlic the same amount of time as onions what ever you do!!

over 3 years ago
  • Latisha
    Latisha 49182

I feel for you! You could also send him out the door with a strawberry banana smoothie? I know that isn't the few items you suggested that he likes to eat but it is really good and doesn't feel healthy.

over 3 years ago
  • Alexia
    Alexia 38741

Well, I'd say a lot of this is about perception. He thinks he won't like veggies. You might go to the discussion "how to sneak veggies in" (for your kids) ;-) haha. it is funny how sometimes adults feel like big kids!

over 3 years ago
  • Alexia
    Alexia 38741

I read a study about a man hired by a state health department to increase in fruit sales in school lunchrooms. Lecturing the kids hadn't increased sales. The schools wanted to drop the price but he said to keep the price the same but raise the “perceived value.” They made the fruit look clean, elevated and inviting. They bought a pretty fruit bowl for $40 and displayed the fruit basket prominently in the lunch line away from the chips and rice crispy treats. They put it next to the register for impulse purchases. Fruit sales increased by 50% within 2 weeks.

over 3 years ago
  • Alexia
    Alexia 38741

You could make the veggies more appealing? Butter,seasoning and add them to dishes?

over 3 years ago
  • Doug
    Doug 49535

Maybe try enticing him with a beer (or two) and then a veggie pizza :-)

over 3 years ago
  • Jess
    Jess 45128

Just curious if the ideas above are working? Is he eating better?

about 3 years ago
  • Sandy (Community Guide)
    Sandy (Community Guide) 48829

You could try to avoid the word "healthy" and try to incorporate the "healthier" foods in with his meat. Try just a little at a time. I bet his taste for fast food changes. I did that with my guy and he still blames me for his chedderworsts tasting disgusting lol. Doug made an awsome point to. Beer works wonders! So does cooking with a bit of Jack Daniels, Beer, Wines, ect. Sorry babbling! Have fun!

about 3 years ago
  • Chef Heather (Food on the Table)
    Chef Heather (Food on the Table) 25081

@Stephanie~ Hi this is Chef Heather at Food on the Table. Eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to get rid of all the foods you love. Simple changes and substitutions can mean healthy food full of flavor. Instead of frying try baking or grilling chicken, fish, pork chops, even chicken wings. Also lean ground turkey is a great substitution for recipes that call for ground beef (tacos, meatloaf, meatballs, etc). It is a leaner meat and tastes great especially when mixed with sauces and seasonings. Also ‘beef’ up pasta, taco/enchilada dishes, chili and stews by adding beans and extra veggies and reducing the amount of meat. Not only will this be cheaper and healthier, but will add a ton of flavor.

about 3 years ago
  • Chef Heather (Food on the Table)
    Chef Heather (Food on the Table) 25081

Also try using whole grain pasta or brown rice. I know a lot of people are not fans of whole grain but you can ease into in by using half regular rice/pasta with the whole grain variety.

about 3 years ago
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie 3458

Thank you all for your suggestions... Unfortunately my husband refuses to even try... I do not fry any of his foods so I guess that is a little better....

about 3 years ago
  • Jammie
    Jammie 41812

Try getting him to take some Omega3 Vitamins. They help lower cholesterol.

about 3 years ago

Connect with Facebook to Share

Facebook

Share with Friends!

Connecting your Facebook account with your Food on the Table account will allow you, your friends, and your family to share your favorite recipes, weekly meal plans, and more. Click the "Login with Facebook" button below to get started!