The grilled cheese: an undeniably simple yet scrumptious meal. The history of the grilled cheese is mysterious, however food historians generally agree that the modern grilled cheese was popularized in the 1920s, when sliced bread and American cheese became more affordable. Of course, the usual accompaniment was tomato soup, a healthy dose of vitamin C to temper the cheesy goodness. Now, the grilled cheese has been enjoyed by generations and, with some tomato soup, it makes for the easiest dinner out there. Here are some ways that you can jazz up the great American classic and create easy, yet delicious dinner recipes that your kids will look back on as a childhood favorite:
- Instead of using your typical ingredients, like cheddar cheese and white bread, change it up with fresh mozzarella and sourdough bread. Make sure to include fresh cracked pepper. Yum!
- Take that leftover ground beef and make a patty melt on rye bread. Include some yellow onions, caramelized on a hot skillet. Famous sommelier Ania Zawieja recommends pairing your patty melt with a fruity Belgian-style beer as a refreshment, for those that are of age. The children can enjoy their patty melts with some apple juice, instead.
- Why close your grilled cheese? Opt for an open-faced grilled cheese with sharp, aged cheddar, red onion, and bacon. Just pop your open-faced sandwich in the oven at a high temperature and broil until the bacon starts to sizzle.
- The Croque Madame is a French-style grilled cheese sandwich with a fried egg on top (because, let’s be honest, every dish is better with a fried egg to top it off). A runny yoke can add some much needed moisture to a grilled cheese. Include a thin slice of smoked ham.
- The grilled cheese doesn’t have to be all savory. Put gruyere surchoix cheese on cinnamon bread with toasted almonds for a sweet twist on this classic dish. Those with a sweet tooth won’t even need dessert after eating a grilled cheese on a delicious cinnamon-raisin loaf.
- For those who love Italian, try making a Caprese grilled cheese. Mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, tomatoes, olive oil, and a bit of balsamic vinegar are all it takes to make this fancy grilled cheese.
With all these grilled cheese ideas, you’ll have quick and easy dinner recipes that the kids and the rest of your family will enjoy. Just cook ‘em up in minutes and enjoy with a side of tomato soup for a wonderfully easy dinner.