Ginger is an integral part of Asian cooking. The Chinese have found uses for it in everything from dinner dishes to traditional medicine. Of course, ginger has its place in the western world as well. What would Christmas be without gingerbread houses and gingerbread men? This spice is at home in both savory and sweet foods, but thats not the only thing it has to offer. There are also plenty health benefits of ginger.
Health Benefits of Ginger
- Women who suffer from menstrual cramps may have an unexpected ally in ginger. The Huffington Post reports that one study in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine suggests that using ginger to relieve painful menstrual cramps worked just as well as taking ibuprofen.
- Our taste buds can help us understand one how ginger works to improve circulation and blood flow. If you’ve ever eaten ginger, you have likely experienced the warming sensation that it produces. This effect can be achieved when ginger is applied topically, as well. Try a ginger soak to improve your circulation and soothe aching muscles. As little as 4 tablespoons in a cotton bag can transform a regular bath into a luxurious pain-melting experience.
- Similarly, ginger can be used to create an invigorating scrub. The heating properties of ginger will stoke blood flow, giving your skin a beautiful glow and vibrancy.
- Did you parents ever tell you to drink a ginger ale when you were nauseous or carsick? Incredibly, ginger has been shown to relieve motion sickness, and can even reduce nausea and vomiting for pregnant women and may reduce nausea in chemotherapy and post-operative patients.
- Ginger is valued for its anti-inflammatory properties. It has also been shown that ginger may reduce osteoarthritis pain when taken daily.
- “Ginger”, University of Maryland Medical Center
- “The Health Benefits of Ginger”, Huffington Post
Explore the amazing taste and health benefits of ginger with Food on the Table’s Broiled Ginger Shrimp. Get more great recipes like this one and start meal planning today with our easy to use mobile app.