Making wise choices is often about more than meets the eye. We must take our own situations into account, and sometimes that means scrimping in some areas and splurging in others. Eating organic food is a great example. While it would be ideal for everyone to have access to healthy foods and drinks regardless of their financial situation, the reality is that not everyone can afford to stock their pantry full of important organic foods from natural foods markets.
Yahoo says that the top five organic foods to buy are organic fruit, organic beef, organic eggs, organic rice/grains, and organic milk. These ingredients are staples for many families and will provide a healthy base to build on.
Top 5 Organic Functional Foods:
- Milk –The hormones used in the production of non-organic milk have been linked to increased cancer risk and early sexual maturity in children. Organic milk is produced with zero hormones. Also, if anyone in your family has a milk allergy or lactose sensitivity, there are many organic milk substitutes made from soy, rice, and almonds.
- Eggs – Eggs are another food that are often produced from animals that are given huge amounts of unnatural hormones to stoke production. Plus, non-organic hens may be fed grain that is treated with pesticides. This residue is transferred on to the eggs. Organic, free-range produced eggs are the healthiest choice.
- Fruit – Fruits that are eaten with the skin still on (like apples, grapes, or berries) are especially susceptible to the harmful pesticides used in non-organic farming. Try to choose organic produce for these fruits, and choose to skimp on fruits like oranges or bananas that are protected by a peel that isn’t consumed.
- Rice/Grains – The pesticides used in non-organic rice and grains are used to protect against disease. But sometimes these crops are grown in unclean environments. Choose organic for these foods to ensure that your rice and grains aren’t coming from a farm close to industrial sewage.
- Beef – Just like milk cows, beef is often pumped through with hormones to increase size and strength and to prevent disease. And also just like milk cows, the hormones are transferred to people through eating the meat.
For a good step in the right direction, try incorporating these five organic foods into your family’s daily routine. You will be surprised how a small change can make a big difference.
- “Top 5 Must-Eat Organic Foods”, Yahoo Voices
Ready to start smarter meal planning with Food On The Table? Start here.